CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

8.16.2009

Recipe: Marinated Flank Steak

I've had the Weight Watchers My Turn Around Program Cookbook for a while now. But I'd never tried this recipe until last week. The marinade makes the steaks absolutely loaded with flavor...delicious! I usually double the marinade recipe to make sure it completely covers the meat when marinating...and I would recommend marinating AT LEAST four hours (preferably overnight) to really let the flavors soak in. The recipe calls for broiling the steak, but given that it's August and prime time for grilling outside, I choose to put this masterpiece on the grill...but I'm sure it'd be great broiled, too!

On a side note, this was the first recipe I ever used that called for shallots. I thought they were some fancy ingredient I wouldn't be able to find at the grocery store. Or, maybe they're just miniture onions. :)

Try this one next time you grill (and cut of steak) and see what you think:

Marinated Flank Steak

4 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium shallot, minced
3 T reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 T red-wine vinegar
1 tsp. dired oregano
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1 (1 pound) flank steak, trimmed
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper

Combine garlic, shallot, soy sauce, vinegar, oregano and thyme in plastic bag; add steak. Squeeze out the air and seal bag; turn to coat the steak. Refrigerate, turning the bag occasionally, at least 4 hours or overnight.

Spray the broiler rack with canola nonstick spray and preheat the broiler.

Remove steak from marinade; discard marinade. Sprinkle steak with salt and pepper and place on broiler rack. Broil 5 inches from heat until instant-read thermometer reads 145 degrees for medium, about 5 minutes on each side. Transfer steak to a cutting board and let stand 5 minutes. Cut steak on an angle against the grain into 12 slices.

4 servings

No comments: