CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

1.03.2010

Just Buggin Challenge #18: Mickey & Friends Centerpiece (AND a Minnie Mouse Cake, Too!)

This week's Just Buggin Challenge #18 is called "In The Shadows":  use the shadow or blackout feature on your project.




















The Mess Maker's third birthday party was this past weekend and she just HAD to have a Mickey theme!  I borrowed the Mickey Font cartridge from my AWESOME and talented friend and got to work on this centerpiece.  I used the shadow feature on the "3"s to add definition, and then punched some holes in white cardstock using a standard hole punch and added those circles to the "3"s.

Then, using the blackout feature, I cut each character's face from black cardstock.  I used the facial details feature for each character's face in the appropriate colors of cardstock.  I also cut an additional blackout of each character's face in black so that when I attached the faces to the lollipop sticks, I could cover up the stick by adhering the additional layer on the back.

I inserted each stick into floral foam inside the red pot and added a silver spray and twisted pipe cleaners (wrapped loosely around a ballpoint pen and then attached to lollipop sticks).  For additional detail, I added large red sequins to the twisted pipe cleaners.  Lastly, I tied a black and white polka dot bow around the pot.

In addition to the centerpiece, I also altered some plain red paper plates by adding a Minnie hat to the edge, and made a Minnie Mouse cake, inspired by this cake I found while doing a Google Images search for Minnie cakes:
The white circles, black Minnie mouse heads, mini red bows, large black circles (ears) and large white bow were all formed out of gumpaste (by hand, not Cricut....though I TRIED and TRIED to get my Cricut to do this for me!!!).  The black balls around both layers of the cake are Sixlets that came in a bag of just black, also available in other colors, at Hobby Lobby.  This project made me realize that I am DEFINITELY not a cake decorator...HAH!  Think I'll just stick to paper projects!!!  :)

Thanks for looking!

7 comments:

~BridgetL~ said...

OMG this cake is adorable. :)

LACY said...

What a cute birthday idea!

Lynne said...

Super cute!!
Lynne

Mindy (Scrappy and Piggy) said...

your centerpiece is awesome I 'm sure it was a big hit at the party. Also, I have to say, that cake is incredible too! great job!

Valerie said...

Oh my goodness! It is all just too adorable, I want a mickey party:) That centerpiece is very cool, and give me a piece of that cake!

Peggie said...

I think this is very cute. Just looking at the picture thought you had used the Cricut cake machine so to have hand cut all of this is fantastic. What a super mom! I'm sure the little ones adored it.

Mia Mossberg78 said...

HipHop recording sensation Provy Suflayy released his first single off his upcoming release!!

‘A Star Burnin Brite’ feat. Rachel Schryvers.

It is now available on Itunes and other fine online retailers.

Check out this music video!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X06H7IVEbAY