CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

4.30.2010

Men's Faux Leather Birthday Wallet

This birthday wallet was inspired by one I saw in CardMaker magazine (January 2010).  I used the same dimensions but I made mine differently.  For the base of the wallet, you'll need 1 3 1/4" x 8 1/2" piece of brown cardstock.  For the inside liner, you'll need one 3 1/8" x 8 3/8" piece of coordinating brown cardstock.
For the window pockets, you'll need two 2 7/8" x 3 3/4" piece of brown cardstock (same color as cover).  I die cut an oval in the middle of each using my Creative Memories oval cutter.  To give mine a faux leather look, I inked the cover and the window pockets with Distress Ink, sanded them lightly, then covered the top with VersaMark.  I added clear embossing powder and then heat embossed them for to get the shine.  When cool, I lightly sanded the tops again for a slightly worn look.

Before adhering the liner to the cover, add a tab...cut two 2" x 3/4" pieces of brown cardstock.  Round one end of both pieces.  Put a brad through one piece, then adhere the pieces together to hide the brad back.  Adhere the tab between the layers of the wallet.  You can leave the top open if you want to insert money into the body of the wallet.  Adhere the pockets to the inside by applying adhesive to the bottom and sides of each window pocket...this allows the contents to be removed.

Mine holds a picture of my kids in one pocket and a giftcard to Home Depot in the other...for my dad's birthday.  I added a strip of cardstock with a stamped "Happy Birthday" on the outside of the wallet, held on with a spiral paper clip.  It's hard to come up with crafty things to make for a guy, but I think this is super-manly and I hope he'll like it!  :)

Thanks for looking and have a creative day!

4 comments:

Ashley said...

Wow!!! Im loving this card! And with Fathers Day right around the corner, i may have to "scrap lift" it! I dont have design studio or SCAL so the other wallet card instructions didnt help me very much...Great job!!

DtsArt said...

Wow this is such a clever card! This would be super for father's day!

Hoo's Crafty! said...

What did you use to get the tab to close on the front of the wallet? Did you use a magnet? Or is it just folded to lay flat?

Lori (THCEO) said...

Hi Liza,
The tab doesn't "need" anything to keep it closed because it's scored twice on the fold so that it stays flat. But I wanted to give it a "closure" of sorts anyway, so I added a mini glue dot. The glue dot sticks perfectly to the paper on the tab, but releases easily when pulled from the embossed cover since it's somewhat slick. It isn't too noticeable either. Hope that helps! :)